Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Poppin' Edamames

In keeping with my healthy 'meatout' pledge made more than 10 days ago, I've been trying to eat light and green. And when work has been hectic, added with extra hours spent moving into new premises at work, fuss-free cooking is the only bearable option if we choose to dine at home in the evenings.

Poppin' Edamame
To say I'm fond of edamame [eh-dah-MAH-meh] (fresh green soybeans) is an understatement, especially when popping cooked edamame beans right into my mouth ranks as one of my top addictive activities over the kitchen sink. When the edamame is sweet with just that right amount of vege-crispness and a slight nutty flavor, adding them to a pasta dish with a chopped tomato sauce takes that addiction to another level!

Edamame is the young green soybean which is harvested just before it matures, and in our local supermarkets can usually be found in the frozen vegetables section. Sold in their furry pods, the edamame is usually boiled in salted water for 5 to 8 minutes to cook them. After draining and rinsing in cold running water to maintain its bright attractive green color, just lightly squeeze the pods and the green beans start popping out of their pods. Rich in vegetable protein, high in fiber content and abundant with vitamins, it's a healthy snack, and in fact goes quite well with a chilled light beer.
Edamame Pods
This edamame-tomato pasta is one of those quick fixes that apart from being absolutely easy to make, tastes good and is really healthy.

  • cook the frozen edamame as aforesaid (a packet of frozen edamame should yield enough for 2 to 3 persons for this pasta dish, even after taking into account the few shelled edamame beans that may end up directly in the gullet-trap immediately upon shelling)
  • chop up 2 big tomatoes, which have been blanched and skinned
  • cook the farfallini (mini bow-tie shaped or butterfly-shaped pasta) according to packet's instructions (you can replace the farfallini with penne)
  • heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil together with a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan over a low fire and add some chopped garlic
  • add the chopped tomatoes together with 4 to 6 tablespoons of tomato puree
  • add half a cup of water to the mixture and let sauce reduce
  • after 5 minutes or so, add the shelled edamame to the mixture and stir for a few minutes to mix thoroughly and to heat through
  • add the cooked farfallini to the edamame-tomato sauce and season with salt and ground black pepper
Simple Goodness
Hopefully, this last picture will compel you to hunt down that packet of frozen edamame in the supermarket and indulge in a bout of nutritious addiction!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really have got to try edamame.
Your photos are terrific - the color is perfect!! great post.

7/26/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Edith said...

This is really easy plus your awesome picture, really entice one to try. Thanks for sharing.

7/26/2006 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

This looks so fresh and healthy, what a great meal. And your photo makes it look all the more enticing!

7/26/2006 05:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remembered many years back, I saw japanese snacking these while I was in tokyo. but i had a hard time ordering as i do not know what's this called, while the japanese waitress had a hard time understanding my "sign language" ... LOLz ...

it's still some of my favourite snack now other then the usual NUTS to go along with beer hehehe ... i'm pretty sure the edamame gives interesting textures to your pasta dish

7/27/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Don't worry - that great pix had me thinking I must stock up frozen edamame beans in the hse! They're so nice as a snack and yes a cold beer to wash it down with.

7/27/2006 05:50:00 AM  
Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

Boo! cold beer with Edamame? That sounds excellent!

Cath, I always have a pac of edamame in my freezer, never know when the craving comes! Luv the way u serve it. Lovely!

7/27/2006 07:45:00 PM  
Blogger Annette Tan said...

I'm a die-hard carnivore and I'm trying to cut back on the meat too. Love the picture. It almost makes me want to go out and buy a pack of those beans.

7/27/2006 09:52:00 PM  
Blogger shaz said...

I like my edamame unadulterated. Boiled and lightly salted :) I sometimes serve them with roasted cod or salmon if I have no other veggies in my fridge. Thanks for sharing.

7/27/2006 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@tanna, if you haven't tried before, you MUST MUST MUST.. highly recommended!

@precious moments - thanks and I can definitely vouch for the easy part :-P

@jenjen, thanks for your encouraging words

@slurp, yes, edamame is like a mainstay in a lot of Japanese restaurants and pubs, and it's a favourite quick and easy snack for people of all ages!

@boo, I can tell you're a connoisseur when you say you eat these with chilled light beer :-)

@audrey, thanks and you must try these lightly salted with beer (that is, if you like beer)!

@eggy, I share the same carnivorous instincts but the good thing about these edamame beans is that they don't make me feel like I'm being too herbivorous!

@shaz, served alongside roasted cod and salmon sounds equally as good!

7/27/2006 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

wow ! healthy food...good for you.

7/28/2006 03:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey
quite a candid statement dat i was in a quest of edamame in Singapore.. i m not able to get it anywhere.. I was totally an addict to it in US but not back here in Singapore i m quite frustated about nobody understand what am i talking about..
for them edamame is some alien dish or what !! :(

Can anybody please suggest me where can i get my heaven food..
"e-dah-mahme" (edamame)

Thnx

8/04/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@foodcrazee, yup, it sure is healthy!

@anon, you can probably find frozen edamame in the freezer sections of Cold Storage supermarkets and Japanese supermarkets, eg. Isetan Scotts basement and Meidiya supermarket at Liang Court.. good luck in your search :-)

8/04/2006 09:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Cath, this looks SO delicious, I wish I could get hold of fresh edamame here...

8/07/2006 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

actually I just discovered Edamames myself! you can find them at Costco in the frozen food sections for about $7 canadian and they come handy packets where you poke a few holes in the top witha fork, pop in the microwave oven for 3 minutes, add some freshly ground salt and VOILA! pop in your mouth.........mmmmmmmm so good...yup addicted!

9/13/2007 08:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Steve | Healthy Lunch said...

I can see why you are fond of "e-dah-mahme" (edamame), honestly just by looking at the images is making me hungry. I can`t imagine the dish to be right infront of me now. I can guarantee I would be drooling all over it now.

4/18/2012 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home